The Water Apple is a remarkable fruit with a treasure trove of astonishing health benefits clubbed with unparalleled nutritional values. It is more than just a luscious delight but a symbol of vitality for a healthier, happier existence. Let’s uncover the hidden marvels of this captivating fruit and its remedial benefits.
So, what is Water Apple?
Water apple is a delectable tropical fruit mostly available in South East Asia. The fruit is known for its wonderful quality of quenching thirst. It is crisp in texture and bright red when it is ripe. This wonder fruit is a rich source of vitamin C, calcium, fiber, potassium, and magnesium. Some of the other popular names for this fruit are Java Apple, Wax Apple, Rose Apple, Watery Rose Apple fruit, Bell Fruit, and Chambakka or Jambaka fruit.
Water Apple has an abundance of water in it, which makes it a fruit that can quench thirst. The unripe water apple is often used for making jellies, pickles, and syrup, while the unripe green water apple can be eaten raw as a salad by sprinkling salt. They blend well with cucumber, cilantro, chips, tropical fruits, feta cheese, and chili flakes.
Water apples don’t have a core like in the actual apples. However, the widest point in the fruit is inedible.
Nutritional Value of Water Apple
Here is the nutritional value of 100 g of water apple fruit as per the US FDA:
|Vitamin A||17 g|
|Vitamin B1||0.02 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.03 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
Visual Stories by Mahindra Paybima
Water Apple Benefits for Your Health
- Water apple strengthens immune function since it has some active components with anti-microbial and anti-fungal effects to help fight diseases
- Among the many benefits of water apples for the skin is the protection it gives your skin against multiple infections
- Water apples are good for diabetics because of the presence of Jambosine, which is an alkaloid present in the fruit. This substance limits the change of starch into sugar and controls blood sugar. However, it is recommended for diabetic patients to eat water apples in moderation
- Water apples also improve the heart health of individuals because of the vital minerals present in the fruit. The high sodium and potassium in water apple helps in reducing cholesterol and guard against cardiovascular conditions
- Water apples help in digestion because of the dietary fibers available in the fruit, which limit bloating and constipation
- It removes toxic elements from your kidneys and liver. Thus, it helps in enhancing overall health and metabolism
- Further, the fruit is likely to reduce the risk of cancer, including prostate and breast cancer. The water apple Vitamin C and A prevent the development of tumors and cancerous cells
- The fruits keep people hydrated, control body temperature, and are used for sunstroke
- Another Java Apple benefit is that it heals skin and promotes hair growth. Applying the fruit to your face moisturizes and rejuvenates the skin
- As per research, the water apple plant extract has anti-acne benefits, and it works as an antibacterial agent
- The vitamins, minerals, and iron present in water apples help women increase their nutritional requirements during pregnancy
Ways to use water apples in your food
Below are some ways to use water apples in your diet:
- Use it in the raw form as a fruit
- Use them to make fresh and delectable juices and jellies
- Combine them with other fruits to make an excellent fruit salad
- Make pickles and jams, as well as squash and sweet drinks with water apple
Possible Water Apple Side Effects:
Too much of anything is not good. Here are some adverse effects of consuming water apples:
- There is some acid content in the leaves, seeds, and roots of water apples. The excess cyanide or prussic acid in the fruit is not suitable for human health
- People should be cautious in consuming organic products bought from farms, including water apples, as they may have harmful residues
- Eat only the flesh and skin of the fruit and refrain from eating other parts of the fruit
- If you are on any medication, consult your doctor before eating water apples
- Consuming too much of the fruit can be the cause of toxicity; hence it is suggested to eat it in defined portions only
Popular Health Insurance Companies 2023
Water apples are amazingly rich in antioxidants, micronutrients, and trace minerals that aid human health. They also help in treating several illnesses. The fruit conveys positive features to enhance mental and physical wellness. They offer a host of benefits to women during pregnancy and after childbirth. The fruit can be used in various recipes, such as desserts, but it is best eaten in raw form. However, it should be eaten in moderation and with precaution.
FAQs: Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Water Apple
What is the best way to consume water apples?
It is best to consume water apples in raw form. However, it can be used to make jellies, juices, jams, pickles, squash, and fruit salad.
What are the different names of water apples?
Water apples are also called watery rose apples, rose apples, java apples, wax Apples, Bell Fruits, and Chambakka or Jambaka fruit.
Are there any medicinal uses of water apples?
Yes, water apples have medicinal uses. The potassium content of the fruit makes muscles strong. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system and enhances the growth of white blood cells.
Is it safe to eat water apples during pregnancy?
Yes. Women require vitamins and iron during pregnancy. Hence, they are recommended to eat the fruit. However, they should consume in limited portions and consult the doctor before consuming.
How does the water apple taste?
It is sweet and crunchy when the fruit is ripe. The green unripe fruit does not have any distinct flavor.
Which acid is present in water apples?
The stems, leaves, and roots of the fruit are said to contain trace amounts of hydrocyanic acid.
Are there any water apple juice benefits?
It supports hydration and has several other benefits, as mentioned in the post above.